Old-fashioned, home-made popcorn balls are a treat perfect for every occasion, as well as a fun recipe to make with others! They’re quick, easy to make, and require no baking, making them a great DIY recipe to try out when in need of something to do. Whether you choose to make them plain, glazed over with chocolate and peanut butter, or even specially colored for holidays, they are a snack that will get people talking! Add a sense of flair to your popcorn and have fun while making it. This recipe will make an impression during parties and movie nights while being a twist on the classic snack we all know and love.
First, gather your ingredients. These will include:
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 5 quarts plain popped popcorn
- Glazes, chocolate spreads, and sprinkles of your choice
Now that you’ve got your materials, you’ll need a stovetop, and a cooking pot.
- Set the heat on your stove to medium-hot, then combine the water, margarine, corn sugar, syrup, and marshmallows. You’ll want to slowly stir the mixture until it begins to come to a boil. At this point, the consistency within the cooking pot should be smooth, and ready to be added on top of the popcorn.
- Turning off the heat, take your popcorn and slowly pour it into your stovetop mixture, trying your best to evenly coat every kernel. If all the popcorn can’t fit into the cooking pot, cover a baking pan with a baking sheet and layer your mixture on top of the pan.
- When molding the popcorn into its desired shape, you can grease your hands with vegetable shortening, to make the popcorn more pliable. This can be an especially fun exercise with friends or with kids, like edible play dough! If you’re making these snacks for a large group, keep in mind that you may want to wear gloves.
- When you’ve prepared all the popcorn balls you could dream of, lay them on top of plastic wrap or a baking sheet and wait for them to dry.
Once dried, place them in a bowl or a platter and serve your guests! You now have a snack that is not only a conversation-starter but is tasty and fun to make! This treat can be done with all types of popcorn, including pre-popped, if you’re short on time. When it comes to leftovers – wrap them individually in plastic wrap (or if you place them in a big container you can seal, this will work as well. Store them in a cool place to prevent them from losing their original round form. Make your snacks fun, with old-fashioned home-made popcorn balls!
If you are looking for a special treat and don’t have the time to create your own special edible delights, then certainly check out our Gourmet Flavors which are sure to be a hit at an party or event!